1. Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add shallots and garlic and saute until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
3. Add sausage and saute until cooked through.
4. Add cream; simmer 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes with juice and sage; simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender; drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
7. Return pasta to same pot; add sauce.
8. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta; adding reserved liquid if mixture is too dry.
9. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with cheese and serve.