½ lb. HAEN HICKORY SMOKED BACON
1 T. olive oil
½ onion chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
1 (15.5 oz.) can pinto beans
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 apple, thinly sliced
½ cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon over medium high heat until evenly browned; drain, chop, and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic 3-5 minutes or until tender.
3. Stir in beef broth, pinto beans, tomatoes, celery, and bay leaf; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
4. In a small saucepan, cook the apple in the red wine until soft.
5. Mix bacon, apple, and remaining red wine into the soup mixture; season with salt and pepper.
6. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until well blended.