Haen Meat Packing Inc. Recipes
Beef and Beer Stew
2 ½ lbs HAEN BEEF CHUCK STEW MEAT
4 slices HAEN BACON cut in small pieces
2 onions chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1 can dark beer (try Guinness!)
¼ cup tomato paste
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 carrots sliced
2 stalks celery sliced
1 tsp. sugar
2 ½ cups chicken broth
½ tsp. black pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook and stir bacon in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; transfer bacon to a stew pot and reserve fat in the skillet.
2. Season stew meat generously with salt and pepper; sear beef in bacon fat in skillet on high heat; place beef in stew pot.
3. Turn skillet heat to medium, cook and stir onions until lightly browned; add garlic and cook until onions are soft.
4. Pour beer into skillet and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping browned bits into liquid.
5. Pour contents of skillet into stew pot.
6. Stir in tomato paste, thyme, carrots, celery, sugar, black pepper, and chicken broth.
7. Bring stew to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cover.
8. Continue simmering about 2 hours or until beef is tender; stir occasionally.
9. Remove cover and bring to a light boil until slightly thickened.
10. Remove and discard thyme sprigs.
*Try over mashed potatoes